The Full Belly Farm is a small organic urban farm in Siem Reap, Cambodia. Its primary focus will be as a wheelchair accessible development project serving persons with disabilities. It will operate as an organic farm, but it will now also include:
- vocational education opportunities for persons with disabilities in the area of agriculture;
- livelihood development opportunities for persons with disabilities;
- a small residential program to help stabilize the lives of homeless/near homeless persons with disabilities;
- employment for persons with disabilities;
- a portal for access and inclusion in the broader community for persons with disabilities;
- capacity development towards project management for persons with disabilities.
Our early budget estimates indicate that our start-up costs will be in the range of $900 to $1000 and our average monthly operating costs will be in the range of $500 - $600 - higher in the beginning and diminishing over time.
Funds raised will go towards some building renovations that need to be completed before folks can move in; we need to ensure wheelchair access throughout the farm and we need to acquire the household furnishings and equipment for day to day living. The first 3 families, scheduled to move in, come from homelessness and so have very few earthly possessions.
The farm needs tending already as there are a wide variety of vegetables growing now that need watering, weeding and harvesting.
This is an exciting time for all involved with much to do. We hope to have our first family move in next week and the other 2 to follow in about a month.
Any contribution will go a long way in supporting these families in the next phase of their lives.
Thank you and arkoun (អរគុណ)!